"The Story I Never Finished"

 "IF SILENCE COULD LOVE"



Some people walk into your life like a season. They stay for a while, teach you something, and leave. But there are a few souls who become something else entirely. They don’t leave, yet they don’t stay the way your heart wishes they would. They remain close enough to make you smile, but just far enough to remind you every day of what you cannot have. Sometimes I wonder if loving someone quietly is one of the hardest things a heart can ever learn.

There is no fight. No betrayal. No dramatic ending. Just a heart that continues to beat for someone who has unknowingly become its favourite reason to smile and its deepest reason to ache. The strange thing about love is that it never asks for permission. It doesn’t knock on the door before entering. It simply arrives, settles in, and slowly becomes a part of who you are. Before you even realise it, every ordinary day begins to carry the weight of one extraordinary person. There are countless people in this world, yet somehow your eyes continue searching for only one face. Your happiness becomes connected to one laugh. Your prayers somehow include one name without even thinking about it.

And then one day, reality gently whispers something your heart refuses to accept. You may never be theirs. That sentence looks so small when written. But living with it feels like carrying a mountain inside your chest. People often believe that heartbreak only happens after relationships end. I used to think the same. But now I know there is another kind of heartbreak—one that comes from never having the chance to begin. It is waking up every morning knowing that the person you care about is still in your life, still your friend, still someone you can talk to… yet never someone you can call your own. Sometimes friendship becomes both the greatest blessing and the greatest punishment. You are grateful because you haven’t lost them. You are hurting because you cannot love them the way your heart longs to. There are conversations where I smile while reading every message, but the moment the phone screen goes dark, the silence becomes louder than any words we shared. I replay those little moments over and over—not because they were extraordinary, but because they were enough to keep my heart alive for another day.

 The world sees ordinary memories. I see my entire universe hidden inside them. People tell us to move on as though love is a light switch that can simply be turned off. If only they knew. If only they understood that some people don’t become memories. They become habits. They become prayers. They become a part of the way you think, the way you breathe, the way you dream about tomorrow. How do you move on from someone who unknowingly became home? Sometimes I wonder if she ever realised how carefully I protected our friendship. There were days I wanted to say everything my heart was carrying. Days when every word inside me wanted to become a confession once again. But I stayed silent. Not because I stopped loving her. Because I loved her enough to protect the peace she had already chosen. Love isn’t always about being together. Sometimes love is choosing someone’s happiness even when it quietly breaks your own heart. That kind of love never makes headlines. Nobody applauds it. Nobody notices the tears hidden behind ordinary smiles. But perhaps it is the purest form of love there is. There are nights when sleep refuses to visit me. I stare at the ceiling and imagine a life that will probably never exist. I imagine simple things. Morning coffee together. Random conversations while driving nowhere. Shopping for groceries. Fighting over which movie to watch. Sitting silently in the same room without needing words.

Nothing grand. Just an ordinary life with an extraordinary person. Maybe that’s why it hurts so much. I wasn’t dreaming about perfection. I was dreaming about forever. Every now and then, life reminds me that dreams and reality don’t always become friends. People around me continue falling in love, getting engaged, getting married, building families, celebrating anniversaries. I clap for them. I genuinely smile for them. But somewhere inside me, there is a quiet corner that asks God only one question. “What if?” What if our story had been different? What if timing had been kinder? What if life had chosen another ending? Those questions never receive answers. Only silence. Yet even in that silence, my heart continues hoping. Hope is a strange thing. Sometimes it heals us. Sometimes it slowly breaks us. Mine has done both. The hardest part isn’t that she doesn’t belong to me.

The hardest part is knowing I cannot stop caring. No matter how many days pass… No matter how busy life becomes… No matter how many people I meet…Some feelings refuse to grow old. They simply learn how to hide better. There are moments when I convince myself that I’ve finally become stronger. Then something tiny happens—a familiar song, a photograph, a place we once spoke about, or even a simple sentence—and suddenly every carefully built wall inside me falls apart. It amazes me how one person can still have the power to change the weather inside your soul without even being present.

 If loving someone means wanting the very best for them, then I truly do. I pray she laughs loudly. I pray she finds peace. I pray her dreams come true. I pray she never experiences the loneliness my heart has quietly carried. And perhaps that’s what makes this love different. I have never wished for her tears to become my opportunity. I have only wished that, somehow, one day life might look at us with mercy. If not, I will still be grateful. Because not everyone gets the privilege of meeting someone who changes the way they understand love. Some people teach us how to be loved. Others teach us how deeply we are capable of loving. She unknowingly taught me the second. People think unspoken love eventually disappears.

 I don’t believe it does. It simply changes its language. It becomes silent prayers. It becomes memories carefully protected from time. It becomes smiles that carry hidden sadness. It becomes wishing someone a beautiful life, even if you are watching it from a distance. Maybe one day this ache will become lighter. Maybe one day my heart will stop asking impossible questions. Or maybe it never will. Perhaps some stories are never meant to have a perfect ending. Perhaps they exist only to remind us that the deepest love is not always measured by how long two people stay together, but by how gently one heart continues to care without expecting anything in return. So I keep walking. I keep smiling. I keep pretending that everything is fine. But if you ever look closely into the eyes of someone who laughs a little too easily, who says “I’m okay” a little too quickly, you might discover a story that was never written in photographs or promises. A story where love arrived quietly… Stayed faithfully…Never demanded anything… Never truly left… And still waits, in the gentlest corner of a heart, believing that even if two hands were never meant to hold each other, one soul can spend a lifetime quietly thanking  God for the blessing of simply having known the other. Some loves are never spoken twice. Not because they become smaller. But because they become too sacred for words.

"One day , when this heart finally learns to rest, I hope it remembers only one thing-that loving you was never my regret, only my greatest privilege"

Joice💓

Comments

Popular Posts