"There It Goes With A Lot Of Stories To Tell When We Meet Soon"

Tonight, I am sitting in front of
my computer table, but I am not really looking at the screen. The room is
quiet. The light from the monitor falls across the table, and the cursor keeps
blinking on an empty page as if it is waiting for me to say something. My
fingers are close to the keyboard, but I have not typed a word for a long time.
My mind is somewhere else. A little while ago, I opened a small ring box that I
had kept safely with me since 2021. Inside it was a ring that had never been
worn on that beautiful hand. It had simply remained there, protected inside the
box, travelling with me from one chapter of life to another. It looked exactly
the same as it did when I first kept it there. Time had changed so much around
me, but somehow, that small ring had escaped all of it. Every now and then, I
would open the box and look at it. I never needed to do anything more. Seeing
it was enough to take me somewhere far away from the room I was standing in. Some
objects are like that. They are silent, yet they hold entire conversations.
They do not breathe, but they keep certain feelings alive. They remain hidden
inside drawers, bags, or cupboards while carrying a world that no one else can
see.
That ring was one of those
objects. To another person, it would have been just a piece of metal resting
inside a box. But to me, it held a possibility—a small and beautiful “maybe”
that I had carried quietly for years. Perhaps that is why I protected it for so
long. I was not holding on to the ring itself. I was holding on to everything
my mind had placed inside it: imagined moments, unfinished thoughts, silent
wishes, and a future that existed only in a private corner of my heart. There
was something strangely comforting about knowing it was still with me. Even
when life became confusing, the ring remained untouched. It asked me no
questions and demanded no answers. It simply waited inside that little box, as
though time had stopped around it.
But tonight, when I opened the
box, it felt different. I held the ring between my fingers and looked at it for
a long time. The room was still, but my mind was full. I thought about the
years that had passed. I thought about how many times I had visited the same
thoughts, hoping they might one day lead me to a different answer. Nothing
clear came to me. There are some things in life we cannot fully understand, no
matter how deeply we think about them. We can search for signs, create
explanations, and imagine how everything might turn out, but uncertainty remains
uncertainty. Perhaps I had reached the point where keeping that ring was no
longer an act of hope. It had quietly become a reason to stay in the same
place. So, I threw it away, and then I put a smile on my face just to hide a
face full of emotions that I could not handle within myself. There was no
anger in that moment. No dramatic goodbye, no bitterness, and no desire to erase
what it had meant to me. I simply opened my hand and let it go. For a few
seconds, I stood there in silence. The ring was gone, but the box was still in
my hand.
That empty box felt heavier than
the ring ever had. I closed it slowly, but with that wonderful face and smile, I threw that box in the dustbin.
Since then, I have been sitting here, staring at the screen and thinking about
what I have done. Part of me wonders whether I made the right decision. Another
part of me knows that I could not continue carrying a possibility forever without
knowing whether it belonged anywhere beyond my own thoughts. It is not easy to
let go of something that once made the future feel beautiful. But perhaps we
sometimes have to release the future we imagined so that we can meet the future
that is actually coming. I do not want this moment to feel like a loss. The
ring was never a burden, and the years it stayed with me were not wasted. It
gave a shape to feelings I could not explain. It represented patience, hope, and
the quiet ability to care without asking life for immediate answers. For that,
I will always be grateful. Still, there is no point in sitting beside the same
closed door forever, wondering if it might open. There are other roads to walk,
other mornings to wake up to, and many parts of life I have not yet discovered.
Maybe throwing the ring away was
not about giving up. Maybe it was about finally choosing peace over
uncertainty. The computer screen is still glowing in front of me. The cursor
continues to blink, but the page no longer feels completely empty. Perhaps this
is how a new chapter begins—not with a grand announcement, but with one quiet
decision made alone in a room. I cannot promise that my mind will never return
to the ring. Some nights may bring back the thoughts I placed inside that box.
Certain songs, places, or moments may still awaken something familiar. That is
all right. Moving forward does not require us to forget. It only asks us to
stop building our home inside a memory or an unanswered possibility. Whatever
that ring represented, it was genuine.
It came from a sincere part of me, and I will never be ashamed of that. There
is something beautiful about having once believed so deeply in something, even
if we eventually have to place that belief down and continue walking. Tonight,
I am not closing a chapter with sadness. I am simply accepting that I cannot
keep re-reading the same page while the rest of my life waits to be written.
The ring is no longer inside the
box. The box is now empty, but I do not think emptiness is always a bad thing.
An empty space can also be an invitation. It can hold new dreams, unexpected
happiness, and experiences we have not yet imagined. Perhaps one day, I will
look back at this night and understand why it had to happen. Perhaps I will
smile at the person sitting here now—the person staring at a computer screen,
trying to turn a quiet goodbye into words. For now, I do not need every answer.
I only need the courage to trust that letting go of one possibility does not
mean losing the chance to experience something beautiful. Life still has many
surprises hidden within it, and I want to meet them without carrying an old
question in my pocket. The ring has been thrown away. But the tenderness it
awakened, the patience it taught me, and the hope it once represented will
remain part of who I am. I am not walking away empty-handed. I am taking the
lessons, the memories, and the stronger version of myself that grew through
those silent years.
Tonight, the ring box is empty. My
heart, however, is not. It is simply making room for whatever comes next………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….Joice💓
Comments
Post a Comment