"Before It Was Too Late "
The Moment I Almost Missed
Sometimes,
regret does not arrive loudly. It does not break down the door or announce
itself with dramatic words. It enters quietly, sits beside you, and reminds you
of everything you could have done differently. It repeats the conversations you
postponed, the messages you never sent, and the chances you believed would
patiently wait for you. But some chances do not wait. I learned this when I
heard that you had started speaking to someone else. Until that moment, I had
not understood the value of the space you had quietly occupied in my thoughts.
Perhaps I believed there would always be another day to contact you, another
opportunity to begin a conversation, another suitable moment to discover who
you truly were. I kept waiting for the perfect time, without realising that
time was already passing—and taking you further away from me. When I heard
those words, something inside me suddenly became silent. I wanted to behave as
though it did not matter, but my heart refused to pretend. The sadness was
deeper than I expected. It was not jealousy, nor was it anger towards you. It
was disappointment in myself. You had done nothing wrong. Life had simply
continued while I stood still.
That
was the hardest truth to accept. I had been given the beginning of a beautiful
possibility, but I had treated it as though it could never disappear. I had
mistaken hesitation for patience and silence for safety. Only when I felt I
might have lost you did I realise how much I wished I had tried. Regret has a
strange way of making everything clear. It shows us the worth of a person at
the very moment they begin walking towards another path. It teaches us the
importance of words when it may already be too late to speak them. That
evening, my mind became filled with all the questions I should have asked you
and all the conversations we could have shared. I wondered whether I had missed
something rare without even allowing it the chance to begin. Then,
unexpectedly, life brought us into the same place again. It was only a programme,
an ordinary gathering filled with people, conversations, and passing moments.
Yet for me, everything changed when I saw you there. Among all those faces,
yours was the only one my eyes recognised before my mind had time to prepare
itself.
For
a moment, I did not know whether to walk towards you or remain where I was.
Part of me was afraid that the distance between us had already become
permanent. But something gentler than courage pushed me forward. And then we
spoke. There was nothing dramatic about our conversation. No music played in
the background. The world did not stop, and no one around us knew that such a
simple moment was quietly becoming important to me. We only stood there and
talked, but somehow the conversation felt different from all the imaginary ones
I had carried in my mind. There was a calmness in your presence. You did not
have to try to impress anyone, and perhaps that was what impressed me most.
There was kindness in the way you listened and sincerity in the way you
answered. You carried yourself with a quiet grace that could not be performed
or pretended.
As
we continued talking, I began to see more than the person I had once failed to
contact. I saw someone with a gentle heart, a thoughtful mind, and a warmth
that made an ordinary conversation feel unexpectedly beautiful. That meeting
did not erase my regret, but it transformed it. Until then, regret had felt
like punishment. After meeting you, it became a promise—a promise that I would
no longer allow fear, confusion, or hesitation to decide everything for me. I
could not change the days when I remained silent, but perhaps I could be more
honest with the days still waiting ahead. So I began talking to you. At first,
I carried a little fear into every conversation. I was careful with my words,
afraid that I might say too much or that I had arrived too late. But slowly,
the fear began to soften. Every conversation revealed another small part of
you, and each part made me want to know you more. I started noticing the little
things: the way your words stayed in my mind long after the conversation ended,
the way an ordinary day felt lighter after hearing from you, and the quiet
happiness that appeared whenever I saw your name on my phone. You may never
have realised how many times a simple message from you changed the atmosphere
of my entire day.
The
truth is, I do not know what name to give this feeling yet. Perhaps giving it a
name too soon would place a burden on something that is still learning how to
breathe. But I know that it is sincere. I know that somewhere between regret
and our conversations, you became someone I did not want to lose without
trying. I am not writing this to demand an answer from you. A heart should
never be forced into a decision, especially when that decision concerns the
journey of a lifetime. I do not want you to choose me because I waited, because
I became sad, or because I wrote beautiful words. I want you to choose only
what brings peace to your heart. Still, I hope that somewhere within that
peace, there may be a small place for me. I hope I am given enough time to show
you the person behind these words—not a perfect man, but someone willing to be
honest, to listen, to learn, and to stay. Someone who will not promise a life
without difficulties, but who will promise that you will not have to face those
difficulties alone.
If
life ever allows us to walk together, I would want our love to be found in the
simplest things: unhurried conversations after long days, cups of tea forgotten
while we continue talking, silent drives with familiar songs, small
disagreements that end in understanding, prayers whispered for one another, and
laughter appearing when life becomes too serious. I would want to know the
stories that made you who you are. I would want to recognise the silence behind
your smiles and understand when you need words and when you simply need someone
beside you. I would want to celebrate the smallest victories with you and
protect the gentleness in your heart without ever taking away your freedom.
Perhaps
that is what I felt during our meeting—not the sudden excitement of finding
someone attractive, but the peaceful possibility of finding someone worth
knowing for a lifetime. You made me understand that romance is not always found
in dramatic declarations. Sometimes, it begins with a delayed conversation.
Sometimes, it grows from a second chance that arrives disguised as an ordinary
meeting. Sometimes, it is simply the heart whispering, “Do not let this person
pass without knowing how deeply you could care.” I cannot rewrite the beginning
of our story. I cannot return to those days and send the messages I should have
sent. If I could, I would choose courage much earlier. I would not allow
uncertainty to steal so much time from us.
But
perhaps every story does not need a perfect beginning to become beautiful. Maybe
some stories begin with hesitation so that we learn the value of certainty.
Maybe some people almost miss each other so that, if they finally meet, they
will never again treat the connection carelessly. Maybe regret does not always
mean that something has ended. Sometimes, it is the heart’s way of teaching us
how sincerely we want something to begin. I do not know where this road will
take us. I do not know what answer the future is preparing. But I know that
meeting you again changed something within me. It turned an unfinished
possibility into a feeling I could no longer ignore. And if you ever wonder
whether these words are written for someone, the answer is hidden in every
line. They are for the person I almost allowed time to take away. They are for
the conversation I should have started sooner.
They
are for the woman whose quiet goodness made me believe that arriving late does
not always mean arriving after everything is over. Most of all, they are for
you—the beautiful possibility I nearly missed, the gentle thought that now
follows me through my days, and the one person who made me wish that life, in
its kindness, might give us another chance to write the rest of this story
together.
Joice💓


Comments
Post a Comment