"A Thousand Tomorrows and One Coffee "

 

We Let the Coffee Go Cold


By the time our coffee went cold, I had stopped noticing the time. We had chosen a table beside the window, where the evening light fell gently across the wood. Outside, people moved past with shopping bags, ringing phones, and places to be. Inside, there was music playing softly enough to leave room for conversation, the smell of freshly ground coffee, and a girl sitting across from me who was making it surprisingly easy to forget the rest of my day. She was looking through the menu with an expression of great seriousness. “Why do they give us so many choices?” she asked. Then she looked up and smiled, and I knew I was going to enjoy myself. The café had the kind of warmth that encouraged people to stay. Amber lamps hung above the tables. Books stood on a shelf beside a plant that had grown slightly out of control. Somewhere behind the counter, cups touched saucers, milk hissed beneath a steam wand, and somebody laughed. Our table was small enough that there was no need to raise our voices.

I liked that immediately. There was something lovely about being able to speak softly and still be heard. When our drinks arrived, she wrapped both hands around her cup before taking a sip. I watched her expression change. “Good?” I asked. She nodded, then insisted I should have ordered what she had. It was a small thing, that easy confidence, but it made me smile. We had barely settled into the afternoon, and already she was making recommendations as though she knew which little pleasures I ought to try. I told her I would remember for next time. Neither of us hurried past those last two words. At first, we spoke about the things people speak about when they are still finding their way towards each other. Work. Busy weeks. The journey there. How difficult it could be to choose somewhere to eat when neither person wanted to make the decision. Then one story opened into another. She told me about something that had happened a few days earlier, beginning with, “You’ll probably think this is silly. I didn’t. I liked the details she included. The parts she interrupted herself to explain. The way she remembered someone’s exact words and changed her voice to imitate them. Halfway through, she started laughing at her own story and had to pause.

I found myself laughing before she reached the ending. There are people who make you feel you should have something impressive to say. With her, I wanted to tell the truth. I told her a story in which I was far from the cleverest person in the room. She laughed so freely that a woman at the next table glanced over and smiled. “That sounds exactly like something you would do,” she said. I liked that she was beginning to form an opinion of me. Even if, at that particular moment, it was not an especially flattering one. We talked about music, and the conversation became unexpectedly serious. She had strong opinions about songs I liked. I defended them badly. She accused me of choosing favorites based on memories rather than whether the music was actually good. Perhaps she was right. I asked which song she could never skip. Before answering, she looked down at her cup for a moment, and I realised I was interested in more than the title. I wanted to know where it took her. Whether there was a journey inside it, a person, a younger version of herself. She told me. I listened.

The light shifted slowly while we spoke. What had begun as a bright patch near the window softened into the warm reflection of the lamps. Neither of us mentioned ordering anything else until a member of staff came over. We chose something sweet to share. She said she only wanted a little, then quietly took the better half. I noticed. She noticed me noticing. Were you going to say something?” “Nothing at all.” Her smile suggested this was the correct answer. I wondered how many afternoons could be improved by sitting across from her and letting these small, ridiculous moments happen. Somewhere between the second coffee and the last crumbs on the plate, our conversation grew quieter. She spoke about a place she wanted to visit. I asked why that place, and her answer carried us somewhere beyond travel. We talked about the lives we hoped to build, the things we kept postponing, the strange feeling of being old enough to make decisions and still occasionally wishing somebody would tell us we were doing all right.

She listened when I spoke. Really listened. She remembered something I had mentioned earlier and brought it back into the conversation. I had not realised how much that would mean to me until it happened. I stopped preparing my next sentence. For once, I was simply there. There was a brief silence after a conversation about childhood. She looked out of the window. I took a sip of coffee that had become disappointingly cold. When she turned back, she caught my expression.

“You forgot about it, didn’t you?” I looked at the cup, then at her. “I had a good reason.” She smiled and lowered her eyes, and for a moment we both seemed content to let the conversation rest. I liked that silence as much as anything we had said. I began to notice the little things I would remember later. The way she leaned forward when she was interested. How her eyebrows lifted before she disagreed. The small pause she took when a question deserved a real answer. Once, while I was telling her something, she tucked her hair behind her ear and said, “Go on.”

Two ordinary words. Yet there was such invitation in them. Go on. I am listening. We have time. I wanted to give her that same feeling. I wanted her to leave knowing she had been heard, that her stories had landed somewhere, that nothing she had said was merely filling the space between our drinks. Around us, the café continued its evening. Someone opened a laptop. A couple near the door argued affectionately over directions. Fresh cups arrived at another table, and the smell of coffee rose again. I remember thinking how many times I must have passed places like this without knowing that, inside, someone might be having an afternoon they would carry for years.

From the street, we were simply two people at a window. From where I sat, the evening had become wonderfully difficult to leave. Eventually, she checked the time. Her surprise pleased me more than it probably should have. “Have we really been here that long?” Apparently, we had. We gathered our things slowly, still talking, finding one more detail to add to a story that should already have ended. She pulled on her coat. I checked the table for anything we might have forgotten. Our cups were empty now. For a second, I looked at the place where she had been sitting and felt an absurd fondness for a chair. Outside, the air was cool. We stood near the entrance, reluctant in that gentle way people are when neither wants to make too much of it.

“I had a lovely time,” she said. “So did I.” There were more elaborate things I could have said, but those words held the truth well enough. As we began walking, our hands brushed once between us. A little later, they found each other properly. She continued the story she had started inside, and I listened, smiling at the pavement. I had gone there expecting coffee and conversation. Now I was walking beside her, thinking how lovely it would be to learn which café we would choose next.

Joice💓

Comments

Popular Posts